These incidents are only now entering the public consciousness. However, they are only two of many more other incidents that tarnish the public image the SEIU likes to paint for itself.
Last year, amidst an inter-union fight between the SEIU and the California Nurses Association , the SEIU orchestrated a protest against the CNA's Executive Director at a labor conference which turned violent, leaving one SEIU member dead from a heart attack.
A few years ago, during one of its efforts to unionize some workers, the SEIU was charged with a multitude of allegations by an employer:
On or about April 22, 2005 to the present, the Union violated employees' rights under Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act by:
- Harassing and intimidating employees at their homes to secure signatures on purported union authorization cards;
- Misrepresenting to employees the meaning of union authorization cards in an attempt to have employees sign union authorization cards;
- Misrepresenting to employees at their homes that the union represented Total Health Home Care and that the union authorization cards were paperwork the
Employer authorized the employees to sign;
- Threatening employees using racial intimidation, stating in public that Total Health Home Care is white, the employees are black, and if they did not join the union they were black and stupid;
- Threatening employees that if they did not sign union authorization cards, the union would use their social security numbers as signatures
- Preventing employees at their homes from going to work until they signed a union authorization card;
- Making employees sign a union authorization card as an entry fee into a union-sponsored organizing event;
- Asking whomever answered the door at the employees' homes to sign a union authorization card on behalf of the employee;
- Taxiing employees to regional transportation terminals in return for signing a union authorization card.
Of course, this latter example is a mere illustration of why the SEIU (and other unions') push for the hallucinogenically-named Employee Free Choice Act (or EFCA) is destructive to employee rights. [To view more charges filed against the SEIU at the NLRB, go here.]
[To read more about the oxy-moronic Employee Free Choice Act, go here.]
Cross-posted on RedState
Follow LaborUnionReport on Twitter.