So, with door bells ringing and children screaming, we offer you the most ghoulish labor news and views offered to you on this All Hallows Eve…We bring you Labor Shorts #5:
- Have They Severed Ties? Following our discovery last week of the hypocritical use of a "union-busting" law firm by the Democratic establishment (including the Democratic National Committee and POTUS), we've been waiting for the establishment to sever their ties to this firm…We're still waiting.
- Whose Driving America's Bus? Apparently, its Andy Stern and his purple-clad comrades. With 22 visits to the White House, Andy tops the list. What else has Stern & the Gang directed the White House to do?
- United Against Work. The ever-shrinking UAW has voted to deny Ford Motor Co. a competitive contract, following the contracts of GM and Chrysler. Did the UAW just kill Ford too? Could there also be a conflict of interest?
- Your Taxes at Work. Chrysler Offers 23,000 workers early retirement. Guess who's subsidizing that?
- Boeing, Boeing…Gone! The wait is over. Earlier this week, despite making its demands clear to a defiant IAM, Boeing announced its decision to locate its second production line to South Carolina, sending a strong message to an anti-business Washington State and its 'Fighting Machinists'.
- Teamsters' Anniversary on Strike. Despite employees voting to decertify last May and the plant doing fine, those crazy horses over at the Teamsters continue picketing Metalworks.
- Yankees or Phillies? [Who cares in the West?] Both are playing under the threat of (another) SEPTA strike in Philadelphia.
- Union Corruption Corner:
o Sticky-Fingered Steelworker gets one year for swiping $48k.
o Where'd the Money Go? AFSCME Local 1324 is searching for $13k of its members' money…Apparently it just walked away.
o $13K Will Get You Six Months…If you happen to be former CWA President Belinda Woods.
o Machinists' Money Pit? And 27 months in federal prison was the sentence for former pension manager Harvey Keil for stealing $341,000.
o How Do You Plead? Apparently former SEIU boss Alejandro Stephens is set to plead guilty on two counts of mail fraud and one count of filing a false tax return.
o Just the usual: Union fraud in Detroit (even Kwame is involved)
Pickets a Go-Go…? Not yet. UFCW members in Colorado are feeling a bit frustrated that the UFCW national bosses haven't released them to hit the streets yet.
- Harley-Davidson, our favorite V-Twin makers, announce a plan to outsource approximately 400 more Machinists' jobs in Pennsylvania.
Lastly, we offer you this entry, provided by the late Paul Harvey…way back in 1964:
To read the rest of the story, go here.
Any man who claims you owe him a living is a cannibal.
Whether foreign or domestic, he is a cannibal.
If you choose to help him, that is one thing.
If he demands you “help” as his “right,” he is a leech, a sycophant, a parasite.
He is a cannibal seeking to survive by consuming you.
Don't forget, if you are not on LaborUnionReport's Linkedin Group, you're missing more than a hundred news stories a week.
Best wishes for a productive and prosperous week.