SENATE MAJORITY LEADER HARRY REID IS DECLARING EFCA DEAD FOR THIS LEGISLATIVE SEASON.
Yesterday, at a Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce meeting, according to Roll Call, Senate Majority Leader stated that the Senate's calendar is too full this year to consider the hallucinogenically-named Employee Free Choice Act.
“We have too many other things on our plate,” Reid said.
But even if the Senate’s schedule was freed up later this year, it is unlikely Reid would bring the bill to the floor short of major changes to the legislation. Republicans have universally panned the bill — as have a few Democrats — making it impossible for Reid to break a Republican filibuster.
While this is not entirely surprising given the statement earlier this week from AFL-CIO's Top Boss Richard Trumka that EFCA would follow health care reform.
Since nationalization of health care has blown up in Democrats' faces (for reasons that are too numerous to list here) it will be hard to get enough Blue Dog Democrats to take any more fire from their constituents on controversial legislation.
[Besides, President Obama has also said he wants to take up Immigration Reform (amnesty) this year as well.]
That said, here's our prognosis and advice on the job-destroying and delusionally-dubbed EFCA:
- Don't let your guard down and don't let up. With any given crisis, political winds shift in Washington and the nation's capitol is filled with sleazy politicians with low morals and even less character (on both sides of the aisle, by the way). Whenever possible, these pols like to pass legislation in the middle of the night. [Arlen Specter comes to mind, does he not?] The unions are not going to let up pressure on the politicians, nor should you.
- For now, however, EFCA will hinge on the mid-term elections in 2010.
- We give it a slightly better than 60% chance that EFCA will be dead until the results of 2010 mid-terms are in. If the voter storm over nationalizing health care creates a back lash and there are fewer Democrats left standing after the mid-terms, then EFCA (as written) will go down in flames. HOWEVER…
- Watch for unions to:
- Use the union-controlled NLRB (not-so affectionately known as Wacky Wilma's Union Tribunal) to do all it can to help unions press their case for enactment of EFCA while, in the meantime, making employers' lives living hell.
- Get shorter elections through the NLRB's administrative procedures. It is not unrealistic to expect to see 21-28 day elections under Wacky Wilma's Union Tribunal.
- Use the recession and high unemployment (especially in the unions) as an excuse to further lay false blame on employers "union-busting"
- Not give up on EFCA…
- Be prepared. Unions really don't need EFCA's card-check to expand their membership at your expense. If you're not in tune with your employee relations, you can still get knocked out with a union campaign. And, since unions already win more than 66% of campaigns nationwide, with a union-controlled NLRB, this number will likely increase.
- We're already seeing unions, after resting on their electoral laurels for almost an entire year, get more aggressive in the targeting of companies and expect this to significantly increase under a new leadership at the AFL-CIO.
- Bottom line: With or without EFCA, unions need to act quickly or they'll be relegated to 5% membership in the private sector and no more important that a flea on a hound dog. [Don't ask…]
We've been discovering quite a few things this week that, like us, may make you feel a bit uncomfortable with the direction nation is heading. For example:
ANOTHER REASON WHY DEMOCRATS' SOCIALIZED MEDICINE PLAN SUCKS: PRYING EYES UP YOUR FISCAL RECTUM...
As though "end-of-life-choices" (aka Death Panels), "cost-containment" (aka rationing), and the "public option" (aka socialized medicine) were not bad enough, CBS News has uncovered yet another pitfall with the 1,000 page+ Obama-Pelosi-Reid health care plan (HR 3200) and that is the provision that states that the Internal Revenue Service must divulge your tax records to the "Health Choice Commissioner" (aka Health Czar). [Read more here]
WHY ARE UNIONIZED WORKERS OPTING FOR MASS INDUSTRIAL SUICIDE & UNEMPLOYMENT?
There's a disturbing trend occurring across America. It seems as though there is a move toward mass industrial suicide being executed by unions and their members these days. Despite unemployment being around 9.5% nationwide and likely to see double digits, more and more often it appears that unions and their members are
opting for pink slips and plant closures rather than agreeing to concessions that just might save their jobs. [Read more here]
ANOTHER UNION BAILOUT? THE CWA WANTS HIGH SPEED INTERNET TO BE AN AMERICAN RIGHT
The Communications Workers of America, of which we're all too familiar, is looking for a bailout of sorts. That is, the CWA (that old dinosaur union from the old Ma Bell days) wants to convince America that high-speed internet is an American birthright (something akin to Life, Liberty, the Pursuit of Happiness and, of late, Nationalized Health Care). [Read more here]
Remember to join our Linkedin Group if you would like to receive news updates on a daily basis.
Dear readers, we hope you have a GREAT WEEKEND.